The Salutation, one of the original taverns, has long ceased but the name remains and the old cellar entrance can still be seen in the wall of the house at the corner of Mill Road and Castle Street.

This house and a number of others nearby were partly or totally destroyed when a bomb fell in Castle Street in 1943. Most were later repaired or rebuilt. The cellar runs the length of the three houses and has three bays with quadripartite rib vaults which stand on corbels with figures, and there are niches and a doorway at the west end.