Standing medieval remains at Rookery Barn, Winchelsea.
The medieval masonry incorporates centrally situated corbels (now at eaves level) that formed the base of a chimney that would have heated a chamber within a two-storey building.
Only the ground floor of the rear wall and part of the west end elevation survive from the medieval period in addition to the corbels. Part of a hard floor with integral drainage is retained within the ground floor of this building, possibly of 18th century origin (similar to one excavated at the nearby Blackfriars Barn).
The building is now a defunct agricultural building complete with a two-stall stable and two additional bays for livestock and storage – all converted from the ruins c. 1800.
The building is under the care of the National Trust, safeguarding its future.
From achaelogist Maggie Henderson’s report: ref: http://maggiehenderson.org/2013/10/10/winchelsea-quarter-12-2/