The well was sunk and the building housing it erected in 1851 at the expense of Thomas Dawes who presented it to the town.
The building, and the tackle inside it are interesting survivals. Note the medieval archways and buttresses used in the construction. The instructions on the 19th century notice boards remained valid until the introduction of piped water in 1896 when the well fell into disuse.
The well was examined early in the 1939-45 war and the water tested and found to be drinkable. It is 130ft down to the water level.